Tuesday, June 2, 2009

School's Out for SUMMER!!

Day 2 of Summer and it's completely awesome. I had such a fun year teaching this group of third graders. I honestly teared up Friday morning as I was hugging them good-bye. I totally will miss this year and this group, but did I mention that IT'S SUMMER!!?? I guess that a pretty good consolation. :)
Friday morning after we bid our darlings good-bye, the faculty and staff all packed up and headed for Mimi's Cafe for "Viking Island Survivor." At the end of each year there are always a few changes. Teachers retiring, transferring to different schools, staying home to be mommies, and we have to say "good-bye" to some sweet friends. So this year our reading specialists arranged "Viking Island Survivor" as our way to bid those leaving farewell. Someone read a tribute to each person leaving and then after each tribute we "extinguished their torch" (which consisted of everyone making fizzing noises) and someone announced that, "the tribe has spoken." It was really cute. I'll miss seeing those friends every day. Hopefully they'll visit every once-in-a-while.
My fun principal, Sylvia

8 comments:

Giggles said...

Because of when I moved I wasn't able to attend my schools year end lunch last year. I miss that.

Chris said...

Yes, Friday was so bittersweet!! I said goodbye to one of my sweet little second grade girls and she is moving to third grade at VINEYARD!!! Hopefully you will have her:) Keep your eyes open for a Morgan Holdaway and snag her up in your class if you can!!

Laura said...

Yay for summer! You look adorable as always... congrats on making it through another year!

Michal Thompson said...

So now what are you going to do with your summer?

Taylor Ensign said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taylor Ensign said...

Now you can spend your energy worrying about the Utah Jazz draft....right?....ok. maybe just Mikey.

grandmaVerda/GrandpaLeon said...

Hi Karie and Mikey. I love your blog. I didn't have this address until I looked at the address on Lindsay's blog. Looks like you have had a great year and are ready for a summer of fun. Please arrange with you sisters and come and swim sometime... maybe next week. I love you. Grandma Verda

kerry said...

looks like fun! Exciting for a summer break. Do you really ever have a break though, really?