Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day, all!! I love Earth Day and I'm starting to feel like I'm not a fraud by celebrating it. I've always been pretty good at turning off the lights when I leave the room, and not littering, of course, but Mikey and I have started recycling this year! (I know I'm late getting on the band wagon.) I've always recycled when there's been a recycling bin close, but our apartment doesn't have recycling service, so it's never been right there at home. But that doesn't stop us now! I found the recycling center near my school, so every couple weeks after work I drop off our recycling from home. Wow! It adds up! Honestly, it's a bit of a pain, but it's so rewarding to see how much less garbage we throw away now.

At school today I'm celebrating Earth Day with my third graders. They are so cute and excited about it. Yesterday we made Earth Day posters and hung them up around the school. One of my students who cracks me up all the time made a poster that said, "NO HOMEWORK--IT KILLS TREES!" I had to laugh. But today we had our math lesson in the dark to save energy (luckily we have big windows in our classroom) and this afternoon we're going on an Earth Day walk to pick up garbage.

So today I challenge you to find one way to be a little greener. Replace one old light bulb with an energy efficient light bulb. Pick up garbage. Turn off the TV. Fix a leaky faucet. Use a reusable bag at the grocery store. Just something. I by no mean do all of these all the time, but I'm starting to get better and better.

HAPPY EARTH DAY, EVERYONE!

8 comments:

Nicole said...

I wish our apartments had a recycling bin. Where is it that you recycle?

Giggles said...

Mt. Mahogany had a HUGE recycling contest the week before Earth Day. So I got in the habit there of recycling any and all paper that every came across my path. It got so big that they had to bring us another recycling dumpster and both had to be emptied daily that week.

In Utah County I think all of the elementary schools have a recycling dumpster near them. I'd just load up my trunk, back up to it and empty. Here in Arizona I've found where the community ones are and take my stuff there (libraries, schools). Every little bit helps

Unknown said...

I'll try to not change my kids' diapers all day! :)

Jana said...

Jason and I have started recycling this year, too, and it's been great. I wish I had more room in our apartment to store the stuff until I take it in, though, because I feel like I end up going so often! Oh, and it sounds like you have a great time teaching your own class, it's fun to hear what you do with them!

Nette said...

Way to go Karie! Thanks for the challenge!

I can't wait for you to post pictures from your trip. You know I kind of have a thing for lighthouses and I have never seen any of the ones in the northwest. Hope you had a great and relaxing time!

Love ya!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

What a great post and reminder! I spent much of the day away from home, so I wasn't using much energy at home. I guess that's good.

Adam and I need to start recycling more. I need to come over and ask you where the closest recycling bins are because I have no idea.

anya said...

You are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE Wicked! I wish I could go again!!!! I am addicted to the soundtrack! ENJOY!!!!

Michelle said...

It really is rewarding to recycle, especially if you have to go out of your way to do it. :) When I take my recycling I always feel like I should give myself a little pat on the back :) but then I also always feel silly for being so happy about it. Happy Earth Day! :)